Drishane Castle Millstreet:
lovely Castle and grounds of Drishane have been the focal
point of local history and folklore since pre-Christian
times. The castle, built by the McCArthy Clan between
1436 and 1450, is seated on a limestone rock on the southern
bank of the river Finnow. A prominent and important feature
of the castle is the tower, commanding a beautiful view
of the chain of mountains which, commencing with Claragh,
run 30km in an uninterrupted line to Killarney. In 1909,
the Sisters of Infant Jesus operated a very successful
boarding school for girls until its closure in 1992.
Castle, Millstreet Town, Co. Cork.
Castle, of the OKeeffes, boasts impressive
ruins with four circular towers approximately 50 feet
high guarding a square court. The OKeeffes,
having been driven westwards from Fermoy, also established
castles at Duarigle, Drominagh, and fortified homes at
Ahane, Ballymaquirk and Cullen. In 1651 Lord Muskery marched
out of Dromagh Castle for the famous battle of Knocknaclasy
where the last hope for the Confederate Irish was quenched.
It is now in the possession of the OLeary family,
who receives many visitors from all over the world.
Castle and Farmhouse, Mallow, Co. Cork.
is one of the largest and finest castles ever undertaken
by a Gaelic Chieftain and was built for Dermot MacDonagh
McCarthy, Lord of Duhallow. Much local legend surrounds
the castle and the reasons why the roofing was never completed
despite the rows of heavy corbelling prepared for the
parapets. It is said when work was abandoned, the coloured
window glass was dumped in a nearby stream, known as The
Blue Pool. The castle is owned by the English National
Trust but is set on a 1,000 year lease to An Taisce. Kanturk
Castle remains the focal point of the McCarthy Clan gathering
to this day, and is well worth a visit.
Castle, 1 mile outside Kanturk, Co. Cork.
Castle stands in its ruined state in the 40 acre deer
park. The present herd of white fallow deer has 16th
century origins. They were gifts by Queen Elizabeth I
to Sir Thomas Norreys, who built the castle here in the
late 16th century. The second castle built
in 1690 is owned by the McGinn family who operates it
as a super standard luxury holiday home.
Castle, Mallow Town, Co. Cork.
Tower House is perched on a rock overlooking the Bride
River. It was residence of Sir Thomas Fitzgerald until
his death in 1599. The castle was later granted to Richard
Boyle. In present times it sets the scene for an annual
rock concert, held every June.
Castle, East end of Conna, just off main road, Co. Cork.
you traverse Glanworths 12 arch 15th
century bridge, Glanworth Castle beams down from its proud
perch on a cliff of rock alongside the River Funcheon.
Within the bawn are the remains of a square 13th
century gate tower. Excavation uncovered a "sheela-na-gig",
a pre-Christian female fertility statue, in one of the
vaulted ground floor chambers.
Castle, Boherash, Glanworth, Co. Cork.
Castle was built about 1280. A very large Keep survives
with four Towers. This is said to be the third largest
13th century castle in Ireland.
Mallow, Co. Cork.
Berehert founded the old Gaelic monastery here on the
"hill of the huts", from which Tullylease or
Tulach derived its name. The monastery, like most at that
time, consisted of a central church, a little house for
the superior and huts or cillins for the monks
and students. The present abbey has two holy wells nearby.
Prayers are said at this site all year, but particularly
Feb. 18th. Early grave slabs on the site include
one erected to St. Berehert about 700AD. Tullylease was
one of the last strongholds of druidism in this part of
Church, Tullylease, Co. Cork.
Augustinian Friary Buttevant:
of the areas most important buildings in mediaeval
times, mentioned in the "Pipe Role" of Cloyne,
a 13th century Papal report. Philip de Barry,
who is buried in the crypt, founded the Friary between
1229 and 1237. A slightly later church and 15th
century tower occupy the site, which also boasts a columbarium,
one of the best preserved in the British Isles, which
housed over 350 pigeons.
Friary, Buttevant, Co. Cork. 1.5 miles south of Buttevant,
just off main Cork-Limerick road.
abbey was founded in 1254 by Donal de Barry, grandson
of Philip de Barry, and dedicated to Thomas a Beckett.
The ruined abbey, of which only the church still remains,
contains a skeleton-filled two story crypt together with
some well preserved sarcophocis.
Franciscan Abbey, Main Street, Buttevant, Co. Cork.
1199 foundation of the Knights Templar, relinquished in
1307 to the Knights Hospitallers. The Irish Chieftains
attacked and took possession from the late 1400s
until 1790, Owen McCArthy, was the last Master of Mourne.
The church, mill tower and boundary walls from extensive
and impressive ruins, currently undergoing restoration.
South of the main Cork-Mallow road, 4 miles from Mallow.
FitzHugh Roche founded this Augustinian Priory in 1224,
which was at one time home to 300 monks. Situated at the
confluence of the Blackwater and Awbeg rivers, this beautiful
setting has been the ancient burial place of the Roche
Abbey, 2 miles south of Castletownroche, Co. Cork.
in 1307 by John de Barry for the Carmelites. It was confiscated
at the time of the reformation of 1541 and came into the
hands of Richard Boyle, Earl of Cork. In the 18th
century it was used as a hedge school.
Abbey, Castlelyons, Fermoy, Co. Cork.
early churches show the architecture of the Celtic Church
and the early Norman Church. There is a holy well adjacent
to the churchyard.
Churches, 4 miles east of Castlelyons, Co. Cork.
13th century Dominican Priory, adjacent to
the castle, was desecrated in the 16th century.
The Priorys fine gable tracery window, now restored,
was once incorporated in the nearby 1812 church.
Abbey, Boherash, Glanworth, Co. Cork.